Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Best I Can

I’ve been damned I’ve been blessed
I’ve bitten my tongue and beat my chest
I’ve kept score I’ve played for fun
I’ve held my ground and been on the run
I have loved I have lost
I’ve lined my pocket and I’ve paid the cost
I’ve been wise I’ve been an ass
I’ve been cautious and I’ve hit the gas
I’ve been right and I’ve been wrong
I’ve played dumb to what I knew all along
I’ve smelled out lies and misplaced truth
I’ve taken someone’s word and then asked for proof
I’ve weathered storms I’ve run for cover
I’ve been over the top and undercover
I’ve placed a welcome mat while building fences
I’ve sharpened my wit and dulled my senses

I may be a grain of sand in the master plan
but this is my life
and I’m doing the best I can

I’ve walked alone I’ve joined the crowd
I’ve doubted myself and I’ve been proud
I’ve been shown mercy I’ve been judged
I’ve been flexible and I haven’t budged.
I’ve led the charge I’ve sat in line
I’ve raced the clock and I’ve wasted time
I’ve asked for help I’ve held my ground
I’ve been cliché and I’ve been profound
I’ve cried in laughter I’ve laughed through pain
I’ve been insensitive and I’ve loved in vain
I’ve asked for forgiveness I’ve hidden my heart
I’ve sweet talked the morning and cursed in the dark
I’ve been a peacemaker I’ve stirred the pot
I’ve loosened my grip and tightened the knot
I’ve been jealous I’ve built trust
I’ve been supportive and I’ve shown disgust
I’ve given up and I’ve persevered
I’ve walked away and I’ve reappeared

I may be a bit player in the master plan
but this is my life
and I’m doing the best I can

No comments: